Zara and Leo love hearing stories from our listeners! In our mini-episodes, we discover some of the amazing things Big Life Kids are up to in their own lives... prepare to be dazzled!
In this episode, Joshua from South Carolina in the USA helps Zara and Leo to discover the powerful impact of helping your community.
In this episode, children will:
- discover the powerful impact of helping community
- be inspired by Joshua, our listener from South Carolina, USA
- Read Chapter 4 "Be Grateful" of the Big Life Journal - Second Edition and children will play a Gratitude Scavenger Hunt and reflect on things they are grateful for.
- Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
- Gracias/Thanks by Pat Mora
- Thanks a Million by Nikki Grimes
- The Thank You Book by Mo Willems
- We Are Grateful by Traci Sorell
- Kid President’s 25 Reasons To Be Thankful!
- Guided Meditation for Gratitude | Meditation for Kids
- The Gratitude Experiment
1. Develop an attitude of gratitude using the Gratitude Cube and My Gratitude Journal (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to help get your kids to start thinking about what they are grateful for in their daily lives. Helping your kids develop an attitude of gratitude can be fun and build a connection!
2. Choose one activity a week from the How to Practice Gratitude poster (in the Gratitude Kit) to help train your brains for gratitude. Tape this poster to a fridge door or bulletin board for everyone to see.
3. Use the Which Of My Skills Am I Grateful For? printable (in the Gratitude Kit) for your children to brainstorm ways they can use their skills to help others. If your child is unsure, help them with examples.
4. Assemble the 6-piece Gratitude Tree (in the Gratitude Kit) and have your children write all the things they are grateful for on the tree leaves. Display the ready poster and add new leaves throughout the year.
- What advice did Joshua’s mom give him that we can use too? (focus on what you can do, and start with little actions)
- What part of Joshua's story inspired you?
- Think of ways you can make a difference in your community. What are they?
For Parents and Teachers
- 3 Effective Ways to Raise a Grateful Child
- 7 Activities to Help Your Child Develop a Positive Attitude
- How to Teach Children to be Grateful
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!