Secondary school is an exciting time for young men but can also be confusing as adults wonder about the lines between childhood and adolescence. Should you choose toys as gifts or find gift items that embrace and foster growth toward adulthood? While some secondary schoolers will still enjoy action figures and LEGO sets, there is an opportunity to enhance gift-giving into new areas and interests. Here are 15 of the best gifts for secondary schoolboys.
Before you continue, we thought you might like to download our FREE Personal & Family Values. This printable provides a great opportunity for your family to explore and identify values that can help guide you and your children in making the right choices.
Choose Age-Appropriate Gifts
Before choosing a gift, think about what goes on in the life of a secondary schoolboy. For example, height and weight can change, leaving some young men feeling awkward and clumsy. While others become more in-tune with their fine and gross motor skills, helping them excel at sports.
At this age, children begin to understand the world's rules, including the power of influence. As a result, they can problem-solve better and start using planning skills more regularly. Peer pressure takes form and can become an issue for some. Secondary schoolboys may become moody as they become more introspective and try to deal with emotions that become more intense with the influx of hormonal changes.
Consider Hobbies and Interests
If you know your secondary schoolboy's passions, gift-giving becomes easy. Think about traditional areas of interest, like comics, space exploration, and sports, to help get ideas flowing.
2. Celestron Powerseeker Telescope is the perfect beginner telescope for star-struck secondary schoolboys. The 70mm refractor telescope with glass optics in a lightweight frame is powerful enough for star viewing and the moon and planets.
3. GeekGear Wizardry Mystery box is a monthly subscription box with the highest quality merchandise from the world of wizardry. Items include t-shirts, replicas, wands, and more!
Promote Physical Activity
Gifts for secondary schoolboys should also get them out and moving. Focus on exercise and enjoying the outdoors for gifts secondary schoolboys will love.
4. A skateboard or electric scooter is a great starting board to help your secondary schoolboys explore their neighbourhood. Don't forget the helmet, wrist and kneepads as well.
5. Easy Play Sports has a Bag of Balls sure to please your most active secondary schoolboys. The kit comes with a soccer ball, football, basketball, dodge ball, and pump to keep them all aired and ready.
6. Prospin's 2 Player All-in-One Portable Table Tennis Set provides traveling fun anywhere your pre-teen travels. The set includes two paddles, three ping pong balls, and a 72-inch retractable net.
Foster Problem-Solving Skills with Blocks and Building Materials
While blocks are a great starter toy for toddlers, as children age, their skill levels grow. LEGO sets foster growth with more complicated builds that force children to reach higher levels of engineering feats. Other STEM-minded kits can help your secondary schoolboys nurture their love of building and problem-solving.
7. LEGO has the ultimate Star Wars gift with their Imperial Light Cruiser. The 1,336-piece set provides hours of entertainment with a fabulous completed model to showcase. LEGO also has many other themes, including Harry Potter, Marvel, etc.
8. Tinker Crate Engineering Three Pack provides three different activities focusing on friction, electricity, and hydraulics.
9. MEL Science has a fun subscription providing your secondary schoolboys with two to three experiments to delve into. In addition, the subscriptions include monthly live classes with tutors to help guide children.
Don't forget to download our FREE Personal & Family Values printable. These colorful cards will help your family explore values to can help guide you in making the right choices.
Help Them Embrace the Great Outdoors
For children who aren't interested in athletics, the great outdoors still holds many adventures. So while traditional sports may not be their passion, they may find new skills, such as becoming a kite flyer, which provides competitive fun.
10. Big Man Boomerang has great boomerangs for beginners. The boomerangs increase eye-hand coordination, balance, and control giving secondary schoolboys a new game to play at a nearby park.
11. Pro Kites USA offers their 60" Raptor Osprey Sport Kite offers a great introduction to kite flying. With nylon and fiberglass construction, this sturdy kit is excellent for beginners and may just ignite a new passion in your secondary schoolboys.
Nurture Coping Skills with Stress-Busting Gifts
Stress comes into to play during the secondary school years. Gifts for middle school boys that help them ease tension and relieve nervous energy not only help with emotional regulation but also focus.
12. The Teen Edition from Big Life Journal provides young men with a way to express themselves and delve into their feelings. It also focuses on growth mindset thinking to help foster self-awareness and self-esteem.
13. Outschool has martial arts classes that offer online classes. These classes not only help increase focus and concentration but provide a way to release nervous energy.
14. SHASHIBO's 3D Magnetic Puzzle Box is the ultimate fidget toy requiring focus, concentration, and patience. With intriguing colors and solid plastic, the puzzle can become 70 different shapes.
15. Mosiac offers Customized Weighted Blankets in several sizes and themes. These blankets are a fantastic way to help tired pre-teens wind down in the evening or after an extra-stressful day at school.
Finding the perfect gift for your secondary school-aged boy can be easy when you consider their passions, interests, and developmental stage. However, gifts don't have to be all fun and games, and pre-teen boys are sure to love science kits, sports-related fun, and age-appropriate engineering activities. Remember to think outside the box and concentrate on what's essential to your secondary schoolboy and how you want to support their needs.