Zara and Leo love hearing stories from our listeners! In our mini-episodes, we discover some of the amazing things Big Life Kids are up to in their own lives... prepare to be dazzled!
This week, Josh from Calgary, Canada gives us his expert tree climbing tips and shows us how persistence helped him to push through.
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- discover how staying persistent will help them succeed
- be inspired by Josh, our listener from Calgary, Canada
- In Chapter 3, "Be Persistent," in Big Life Journal - Second Edition your child will reflect on things they haven't learned YET.
- She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History by Chelsea Clinton
- Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah by Laurie Ann Thompson
- The Mindset of a Champion TedTalk by Carson Byblow
1. Give these Persistence and Grit Coloring Cards (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to friends or family members to encourage them to keep going and not give up! Simply print out the cards, color them in, cut out and share!
2. Use the printable "Take Changes Keep Going" (in the Resilience Kit) to demonstrate that persistence helps us create things that didn't exist before.
3. Use My Power of Yet printable (in the Growth Mindset Printables Kit) to remind your child about the power of YET. When they can’t do something — they can’t do it YET! This printable includes a goal ladder — an effective method to break down big goals into small actionable steps. Teachers can use this printable at the beginning of the school year to help students set their learning goals.
4. Pick a book from the Top 30 Children's Books about Resilience (in the Resilience Kit) to read about characters who persisted through challenges.
- What did you learn from Josh’s story?
- Explain how persistence can help you learn new things.
For Parents and Teachers
Kids and Sports: 5 Effective Ways to Foster a Growth Mindset
- 4 Steps for Helping Your Child Set Effective Goals (Plus a Bonus Tip)
- 25 Growth Mindset Statements and Affirmations
- 9 Activities To Build Grit and Resilience in Children
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!